SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Edward FRANKS
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:14:12 +0100 (BST)

The following four letters (which are extremely faint
and difficult to read) are the first four letters
filed under F at CO48/43 in the National Archives in
Kew, London. This is because they were written several
months earlier than the rest of the Settler
Correspondence. I found the letter referred to (by
Henry GOULBURN) in the Times Digital Archive and was
about to transcribe it separately when I realised that
Edward FRANKS had virtually transcribed it for me,
apart from not being able to spell GOULBURN's name!!
It seems that he applied just at the wrong time. The
encouragement referred to in the 1818 letter was no
longer available and the £50,000 aided emigration
scheme for the 1820 settlers was not announced until
July 1819.

Sue

103
Library
84 Bond Street
March 4 1819
Sir,
I took the liberty of addressing a letter to you
under date of the 28 ult requesting the favor of
intelligence relative to the Colony at the Cape of
Good Hope, to which I respectfully solicit your reply
I am Sir your humble servant
Edw. FRANKS

105
15 Old Bond Street
April 16 1819
My Lord,
I am deputed by two families residing in Sussex, of
one I am a member, to apply to your Lordship
requesting to know whether in the event of the
approval of the applicants a grant of land in the
Colony of the Cape of Good Hope could be obtained in
the neighbourhood of Knysna or of Plettenberg Bay,
capable of settlers as above and sufficiently supplied
with wood & water and on the conditions mentioned by
H. GOULDBURN Esq in a letter dated March 1818 and
published in the Times Newspaper September 5
following.
The families who meditate a removal from this country
are both versed in agricultural affairs. The head of
one, my father Edward FRANKS Sen’r is owner & occupier
of a Farm in the parish of Burwash in the County of
Sussex of whom your Lordship may hear of at Messrs
WILLIS PERCEVAL of 76 Lombard Street, with whom he has
handled many years and of Mr BACKRUP?, Linen Draper,
Holborn.
The other family, whose name is GORRINGE, also reside
in Sussex and will give references and will state with
my father every particular that may be deemed
necessary if it be found the spot they consider
desirable is not yet fully settled & that land may be
obtained in the vicinity of Knysna or Plettenberg Bay
capable of cultivation and supplied with wood and well
water.
The families have determined on the expediency of
leaving England but are not fixed as to their future
settlement. They balance the advantages held out by
different climes and different countries and although
they be absent from this the wish prevails still to be
under the protection of its government. They propose
to go together and to settle together and the spot on
the Knysna contains what they most desire.
Should your Lordship’s answer be favorable and the
means pointed out by which they may attain what they
wish, immediate steps will be taken to apply them.
Trusting to your Lordship’s goodness for early
intelligence
I have the honour to be my Lord
Your Lordship’s most obed’t sev’t
Edward FRANKS Jun’r

107
15 Old Bond Street
London
April 27 1819
My Lord,
On the 16 inst I took the liberty of addressing your
Lordship on the part of two families requesting to
know whether a grant of land could be obtained in the
neighbourhood of the Knysna or of Plettenberg Bay, in
the Colony at the Cape of Good Hope, sufficiently
supplied with wood & with water, adapted for
agriculture, and on the conditions mentioned by H.
GOULDBURN Esq in a letter dated March 1818.
As the latter enquiry is vague I now solicit to make
an extract from the letter above alluded to. “Lord
BATHURST is however ready to receive proposals from
any persons willing to undertake in person or by their
agents the cultivation of a large grant of land either
at the Cape of Good Hope or in the North American
provinces, under the following conditions. Such grant
will only be made to those who can engage to take out
and locate upon the land granted ten settlers at the
least; and the quantity of land granted in each case
will be in the proportion of 100 acres for every
settler proposed to be taken out. In order to prevent
any evasion of this condition the person applying for
a grant of land will be required to pay down a sum at
the rate of ten pounds for every settler, which sum
will be repaid to him so soon after his arrival in the
colony as the settlers shall have been located upon
the land assigned. I am only further to acquaint you
that in case of your being willing to undertake the
cultivation of land, either at the Cape of Good Hope
or in North America, and in the event of your proposal
being approved by his Lordship a grant of land will be
made free of expense and the necessary tonnage will be
provided for the conveyance of yourself or your agent
and the settlers whom you have engaged to accompany
you. The expense of victualling the settlers will be
defrayed by yourself”
March 1818 (Signed) H. GOULDBURN
Should the conditions still be held out, without
there be land as before described, your Lordship
permitting application will be made for two grants of
land of 1000 acres each. Respectfully soliciting your
Lordship to direct a reply to be made
I have the honour to be my Lord
Your Lordship’s very obedient servant
Edw’d FRANKS Jun’r

109
15 Bond Street
April 30 1819
Sir,
I beg to acknowledge the favor of your letter of the
29th inst by which I understand that grants of land in
the colony at the Cape of Good Hope are made by the
Governor at the recommendation of Earl BATHURST and
that choice of allotment is not permitted to the
grantee.
I am still ignorant in respect to a material object
of enquiry in my two letters to his Lordship, which
was to ascertain whether the advantages held out by
yourself in a letter dated March 1818 & published in
the Times Newspaper of Sept 5 (an extract of which I
inserted in my second letter of the 27th) were still
afforded. Viz to those who engaged to cultivate these
grants of land it would be apportioned to them free
from expense at the rate of 100 acres for every
settler proposed to be taken out, and that tonnage
would be provided for the government for the
conveyance of the settlers though the charge for
victualling would be defrayed by the person obtaining
the grant. May I therefore take the liberty of again
requesting information on this head.
I feel reluctant to intrude myself on your more
important [assertions?] but by in excuse to say my
applications for intelligence are far from dictated by
idle comments. The determination to quit the country
is fixed and it is only now deliberated where to
remove to, the wish prevailing ever to be able to
claim the protection of the government under which we
first knew truth.
I have the honour to be Sir your obed’t sev’t
Edw’s FRANKS Jun’r

[in clerk’s hand: the general arrangement held out in
the letter referred to is no longer in force]

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

This thread: