From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Caleb ISBISTER
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:11:33 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed from CO48/44 at the National Archives in
Kew, London

No.1 Hunts Court
St.Martin’s Lane
July 25th 1819
My Lord,
May it please your Lordship to inform me of the
[terms] upon which I can go out as settler on the Cape
of Good Hope. I am a single man aged 22 years, a
cabinet maker by trade, but not unwilling to turn my
hand to other things. I have no means to keep myself
in the Cape while there till I get work there, for
should wish to go out with some person
I am my Lord
Your Lordship’s most obedient humble servant