SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Edward GARNAR
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:52:42 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed from CO48/43 at the National Archives in
Kew, London

291
No.1 Rockingham Court
Newington Butts
June 26th 1819
Sir,
I take the liberty of addressing a few lines to you
requesting the necessary information concerning a
settlement forming at the Cape of Good Hope for the
reception of men and families out of employment. The
branch of business I profess (a branch of Spanish
leather dressing) has been greatly injured from the
introduction of machinery, which has reduced a number
of us to the brinck of starvation. We do not pretend
to understand much of agriculture but presume we
should soon learn sufficient for our purpose. A man
actuated with a wish to see his family comfortably
provided with the necessaries of life will make great
exertions to accomplish so desirable a purpose. The
cause of the present agitated state of the country no
doubt arises from this source more than from
disaffection to the Government. Who can describe the
agonised and desperate feelling that take possetion of
a man on hearing his children cry for food and can
procure none for them. I fear this is the case of
thousands at this moment. A heavy responsibility rests
on the Governors of a country who see those Evils and
will not exert themselves to remove them. I hope it
will not be accounted presumtion in an humble
individual hasarding an opinion that there is far more
land lying waste than would give employment and bread
to those starving thousands in this country, where it
could be cultivated under the immediate inspection of
Government instead of trusting to agents or interested
speculators, and if very industrious man would have a
portion delt out to him has permanent property it
would be a great inducement to be laborious and would
had [add] strength and wealth to the country at large.
How could the emence population of the Great Empire of
China be supported but from the encouragement given by
the Government to Agriculture; if my information is
correct the very tops of their hills and bottoms of
their canals are made to produce sustenance for man;
why should we be behindhand with them. There is not a
more industrious people than Englishmen in the
Universe if proper encouragement is given them. I hope
I shall be excused for making these remarcks. It is
the duty of every man to wish well to his country for
unless something is done to lessen the distresses of
the manufacturing classes I fear dreadfull will be the
consequences. I have 5 children all Boys and I care
not what I do to procure for them the permanent means
of support. There are several others willing to
embark with me in this undertaking but I know they
will have an objection to entering into any engagement
with speculative adventurers as is to often the
practice in Colonization.
I remain respectfully
Edward GARNAR

All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html