SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - John GRIGGS
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 07:41:07 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed by CO48/43 at the National Archives in
Kew, London

335
8 Brown Street
Grosvenor Square
August 4th 1819
Hon Sir,
Hearing the emigration at the Cape of Good Hope I
took the liberty of addressing you for as their is 4
of us young men have strong Enclinations to go But
wishing for the culclur [circular] as we did now the
terms properly
I remain
Your obedient and humble servants
John GRIGGS
T. FRANCIS
Jas. CARTER
John VINCENT are the above mentioned

357
8 Brown Street
Grosvenor Square
August 18th 1819
Hon Sir
I received the curcular and approved of the terms I
took the liberty of addressing you for as we are
willing to give our consents but will wait for further
particulars
I remain
Your obedient and humble servants
John GRIGGS
Thos. FRANCIS
Jas. CARTER
John VINCENT

452
8 Brown Street
Grosvenor Square
7th October 1819
My Lord,
Having been keep lately in surspence by severell
gentlemen but at last dissipointed I have taken the
liberty of wrighting to your Lordship as we have been
dissipointed by severell gentlemen hope that your
Lordship will not be offended by the liberty we have
taken by asking 100 acres of land and allow me to take
out tow [two] individuals as labourers Not wishing a
grant for them only for myself asking your Lordship
weather there is a deposit is required for the
labourers as they do not wish for any land we are
aware of the conditions as we have curculer as we now
only wait for Lordship to grant us the proposal
I remain
Your obedient and humble servants
J. GRIGGS Settler
F. MOLTBY Labourer