SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - James MOORCRAFT
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:12:40 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed by Alan Keightley from CO48/44 at the
National Archives at Kew, London

3 Pleasant Place
near West Square
Lambeth
July 29, 1819
My Lord
Having a desire to go to the Cape of Good Hope, under
the conditions advertised in the different Newspapers,
I take the liberty to solicit your Lordship’s favour
to appoint me one for such undertaking. But not being
able to suggest in what way further to proceed on the
business, I am under the necessity of further
soliciting your Lordship to favour me with any other
instructions you may deem fit.
As there are various ideas on the Condition respecting
the ten families taken out by a person possessing the
means, I would wish your Lordship to explain in what
situation they stand in, after arriving there; it
don't appear that they have any land given them; it
seems to be all the property of the one person so
taken them out, and the said ten families as servants,
(or slaves as many say, but I hope not; having too
high an opinion of my native Country for such an act)
which I hope to find contradicted in the answer your
Lordship may favour me with, which will greatly oblige
Your Lordship's most obedient and very humble serv’t
James MOORCROFT

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

This thread: