SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - R.W.HILL
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 00:14:34 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed by Paxie Kelsey from CO48/43 at the
National Archives in Kew, London

634
Leicester
Aug 3rd 1819
Hon Sir,
I take the liberty of writing you for information
respecting emigration to the Cape. If from your ans'r
I find possibility of supporting myself, wife & two
children I will immediately prepare to go.
Your information on the diff’t points as stated will
oblige.
My own age is 28 my wife 25 a little boy near 4 and a
little girl near 2. As I shall be able to raise a
little money will thank you to say the smallest sum
you think necessary to support us till we receive the
fruits of our labor. Your ans’r soon as convenient
will oblige,
Your Most Obt
RW HILL

What extent of land & what terms & in what state the
said land is in Are we coming there quite free of
expenses from our homes.
The smallest sum necessary to keep us till we receive
the fruits of the earth & how long that may be Who
must we apply to for a guarantee of the said land &
When as near as you think the time of Embarkation

Mr RW HILL
Mr FORSELL’s
Hosier
Brown St
Leicester

642
Leicester
Aug 5th 1819
Hon Sir,
I take the liberty of again writing you expecting
emigration to the Cape. Not knowing that an individual
application would be objected to was the cause of my
not having in my letter of the 3rd Ult. the signatures
as below. The undersigned are young men with families
averaging about 30 years of age & are willing to go -
imm'y [immediately] provided they are satisfied a
provision will be made for them, or at least for a
certain time after they arrive there.
Their determination rests entirely upon your
information in answer to this which shall feel obliged
by your giving or as near as you can, if we are
satisfied with the terms pointed out by His Lordship
shall immediately prepare to go and shall be able to
leave this I don’t doubt in a month or 6 weeks.
Waiting Yours I am
Your Most Obt Hble Ser
RW HILL

What extent of land & what terms
Whether we are conveyed there free of expence What
provision when we arrive there What guarantees for the
said land What guarantee also for being provided for -
for a time When the time of embarkation If any sum as
a deposit, what is that said sum & is it returned us
when we get there Where to apply to for passage &c &c

RW HILL
Wm BROWN
Samuel SMITH
Thos? CHAMBERLAIN
Wllm JACKSON
Thos CROFTS
{?]etton SMITH
Jas. COOPER
[illegible signature]
Joseph WILLS
John PEARSON
Thomas SPIERS
John DALLEY

Mr RW HILL
Mr FORSELL’s
Hosier
Brown St
Leicester

694
Leicester
Aug 10th 1819
Hon Sir
I duly rec’d yours of the 7th ult. & beg pardon for
again troubling you respecting the affair in question.
Yet not feeling exactly satisfied - I think it is a
duty I owe to myself & to those who entrust themselves
with me to gain every information in my power before I
take so serious a step. I will state a few facts to
you which if you think are no obstacles of course I
shall think so also & me & my party will be perfectly
satisfied - the case is this, the major part or all of
those that will go with me are poor & can't even with
the sale of their furniture raise more than the
necessary deposit & this matter makes both myself &
them afraid. Tho the paid deposit is ret’d them yet it
will fall very short of supporting them till they
begin to receive the fruits of their labor for I
assure you things have been so bad with the laboring
classes that they will not be able to take anything
with ‘em except the clothes on their backs - as to
myself, I shall not be able to take more than 20£ with
me besides paying my deposit. These things I will be
obliged to you for an answer & if with the assistance
of Government these obstacles can be done away with
shall imm’y conclude to go - I hope there is some way
of getting over this - for instance - for any
assistance I might receive in the cultivation of the
ground, could I not pay more rent as a remuneration or
I would be bound in any way that was necessary if I &
my party can go under these circumstances will thank
you to say in your next whether I am to send the
deposits to you - who is to examine us & who is to
inform us the day vessels sail as we should not like
to get everything ready & then be forgot.
I am My Lord
Your Most Obt
RW HILL

Mr RW HILL
Mr FORSELL’s
Brown St
Leicester

PS Suppose it would take all the deposit money to
purchase implements for cultivation and the Parishes
will not raise more than the deposits

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

This thread: