SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Richard HARVEY
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 12:08:04 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed from CO48/43 at the National Archives in
Kew, London

664
Parsonage Lane
Enfield
Middlesex
August 1819
Sir,
Having seen the Printed Conditions for Emigration to
the new settlement near the Cape of Good Hope, I beg
leave to signify my readiness to deposit the money
required and comply with the other conditions and beg
you will have the goodness to inform me to whom I am
to pay the money, and that you will thereon be pleased
to direct me with my wife & six children (one of them
more than 14 years of age) with ten able bodied
agricultural labourers and artizans and their
families, a passage in one of the first ships that may
be dispatched. I beg leave to observe that I am in the
prime of life and vigour, and now carrying on trade as
a carpenter cart & wheelwright and market gardener at
Enfield, and have liberty to refer as to my good
character &c to the Reverend William THOMAS and Peter
HARDY Esq at Enfield and Mr. LACLAN, Great Alice
Street London
I am Sir your most obedient & very humble servant
Rd HARVEY

772
Parsonage Lane
Enfield
Middlesex
Sir,
I have the honour to acknowledge receipt of your
letter of the 12th ultimo stating that it will be
necessary for me to transmit a list and description of
the persons and of their families whom I propose to
take out with me to the intended settlement near the
Cape of Good Hope before my Lord BATHURST’s leave for
me to embark could be obtained. In which I beg his
Lordship’s pardon for having so long delayed replying.
I am sorry to state that several of the men who had at
first agreed to accompany me have from various reports
in circulation and the length of time before the
proposed embarkation is to take place, altered their
minds and decline going. I beg leave to subjoin a list
of the names of those men on whom I think I can
depend, but in case any of them should yet alter their
determination I crave your Lordships permission to
substitute some other names in their stead.
I beg to report that I am ready to pay my deposit and
to conform in all aspects with the printed letter,
being particularly anxious of getting myself accepted
and my name on the list for a passage out with the
first Division who may leave the country.
I have the honour to be Sir
Your most obedient and very humble servant
Rd. HARVEY

Richard HARVEY Wife and six children, one above 14
years of age
Market gardener & carpenter &c Enfield
Everett? GRAY Wife and three children
Market gardener Kingsland Road
John PIGGETT Wife only
Agricultural labourer & smith, Kingsland Road
William SWAIN One son above fourteen years of age
Agricultural labourer & edge tool maker, Enfield
James BENNETTWife only
Agricultural labourer & bricklayer, Enfield
James CORNISHAgricultural labourer & cooper, Enfield
John BAILEYAgricultural labourer, London Wall
Edward ROBINSONGardener, Enfield
John WINCHWife and two children
Labourer, Enfield
William CHAPMANWife and one child