SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Samuel HICKS
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 12:36:28 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed by Sarah Ann Fulguirinas from CO48/43 at
the National Archives in Kew, London

650
7 Walsingham Place
Lambeth
5th Aug't 1819
My Lord
Finding that it is the intention of his Majesty's
Government, to hold out encouragement to such Persons
as are desirous of becoming New Settlers at the Cape
of Good Hope; I have presumed to take the liberty of
addressing Your Lordship, for the purpose of
soliciting your gracious sanction to my Request.
For a great many Years, I was employed by the most
respectable Planters as Manager on Estates in the West
Indies. I have since been employed as confidential
Clerk by Mr DOUGAN, late receiver of His Majesty's
Droits at Halifax, on American Property, capture
previous to the declaration
of Hostilities. That Gentleman having made a Close of
his Prize concerns and having no further employment
for me, I find myself without Situation after a
faithful discharge for 13 Years, of the important
Trust reposed in me and am in consequence induced with
much humility to solicit Your Lordships patronage, to
appoint me to some small Civil employment at the Cape
of Good Hope where I should be able to maintain my
Wife and Children until I had brought that portion of
land alloted to me, in such a state of Cultivation as
to require no further Aid.
Your Lordship's kind attention, to this humble
endeavour of mine, to obtain Employment and a
livilihood will Relieve me from a State of the
greatest despondancy and will be acknowledged with the
most heartfelt gratitude.
I have the Honor to be, with the greatest Respect,
Your Lordship's most obedient and very humble Servant
Sam’l HICKS

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

This thread: