SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Thomas HIPKINS
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:15:01 +0100 (BST)

Alan Keightley had the joy of transcribing this one
from CO48/43 at the National Archives in Kew, London.
GOULBURN obviuosly found it pretty unfathomable as
well, and simply scrawled 'acknowledge receipt' across
the bottom!

540
Near Uxbridge
Mid’x
July 17, 1819
Sir
I have not the honor of knowing you, but in your
department I perceive from public prints you’r about
increasing our Cape Colony, and I beg leave Sir to
submit or rather trouble you with some of my former
suggestions on this to our Ministry and which you’l at
your leasure peruse as some of - any, then - remarks
may meet my Lord BATHURST's and your good opinion - to
further a public good now wanted, and from my
particular experience I was willing to assist in - to
avoid the present pressure now, I foretold, and which
you'll say if you saw all I had both bothered Ministry
& self a deal about. If my services are further wanted
I will give you any conversations or any assistance in
my power for the furtherance of the Cape - my
favourite plan - for a general good.
These I will call for at your office, or for the
pleasure of your inquiries.
I have the honour to be Sir
Your most obedient servant
Thomas HIPKINS

The Prince Regent, and various know my desire on the
reduction, to people the Cape, and use our old camp
acquipage, war stores, &c &c, and ere this I would
have governed some hundreds of thousands, some
destitute, &c &c.

All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

This thread: