SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Daniel HOCKLEY
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:27:28 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed by Alan keightley from CO48/43 at the
National Archives in kew, London

607
No. 9 Brook Street
Holborn
July 28th 1819
Sir
In consequence of the announcement of the intentions
of his Majestys government to assist those disposed to
emigrate to the Cape of good Hope. After most mature
consideration I am induced to trouble you with this to
request I may be admitted of the number. I am a
married man aged 32 year my wife 29, 3 children & can
make the deposit required. But I hope you will pardon
my soliciting an answer to 2 or 3 question which the
anxious solicitude of a husband & father dictates.
Whether there will be an indiscriminate mixture of all
persons applying. (As I humbly consider some of the
most abandoned & prof[l]igate characters may apply to
avail themselves of the gracious offer of government).
Whether if the emigrant repays the expence of the
voyage that will entitle him to any advantages, if so
what those expences will be. You Sir may perhaps think
those who are disposed to accept of the Boon should
not trouble with questions and the only apology I can
make for putting them is having hitherto moved in
respectable circumstances but reduced under Providence
by misfortunes & losses. It may be necessary to add I
am by trade a Goldsmith but have a very general
knowledge of mechanics & some little of agriculture.
Soliciting as early an answer as the nature of the
case will admit.
I beg to subscribe myself
Your most ob’t humble ser’t
Daniel HOCKLY