SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - John HOGAN
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:37:45 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed by Alan Keightley from CO48/43 at the
National Archives in kew, London

658
57 Milk Street
Bristol
7th August 1819
My Lord
I have to apologise for intruding on your Lordship's
time, and to entreat your Lordships considerations of
the offer of my services in the colony about to be
established at the Cape of Good Hope.
I am an officer on the half pay of the 14th Reg’t,
have served my country twenty four years in America,
the West Indies, and the last seven in the Peninsula
war under his grace the Duke of WELLINGTON, twenty two
years of which I served in the 7th or Royal
Fus[ilie]rs.
I am 42 years of age have a son 16 and a daughter 14
and wife nearly of my own age, the whole healthy and
used to foreign climates.
My whole life my Lord has as already stated being
spent on active foreign service, & it is almost
needless to state the impossibility of supporting a
family (for many years used at least to the comforts
of life) on three shillings a day, and under these
circumstances take the liberty of offering my services
to your Lordship in any situation above the common
colonist to which your Lordship would be pleased to
appoint me.
To intitle me to your Lordship's protections I beg
leave to refer to Colonel Sir Edward BLAKENEY
commanding the seventh Reg’t, or Royal Fus’rs & my
commanding officer for many years during the campaigns
in the Peninsula, for my character as an active useful
and intelligent officer, and for activity and
capability in an undertaking of the particular nature
of the intended Colony, as also for knowledge and
experience in the embarking, care of troops and stores
on board ships, and disembarkations on foreign
stations.
I beg leave to add that I should also engage to settle
with my family in the colony, as nothing would be more
congenial to my feelings than an undertaking of this
nature, but my Lord, I trust your Lordship will
consider that on so slender an allowance as 3/s per
diem I should not have it in my power to lodge the
sums required for each person but would most
chearfully use my best endeavours for the well-being
of those under my charge & the genuine interest of
this Colony and his Majesties Service.
I beg leave to apologize for this intruding myself on
your Lordship, and under these circumstances to offer
my best services to the Colony about to be
established.
I have the honour to be My Lord
Your Lordship's most obedient humble servant
John HOGAN
H.P. 14 R[d] and late 2’[:Mr]
7th Royal Fus’rs

682
Bristol 10th August 1819
57 Milk Street

My Lord
I had the honor of addressing your Lordship on the
seventh inst relative to and offering my services in
the Colony about to be established in the Cape of Good
Hope, and having rec’d only the circular letter
published in the paper suppose my letter may have
escaped your notice.
I beg again most respectfully to offer my services and
to state that after 25 years spent on active service I
trust your Lordship will consider me intitled to your
notice, & particularly when I assure you that the
impossibility of supporting a large family in England
has been the cause of my application, under these
circumstances and having all my life being employed in
foreign countries, in embarking & disembarking troops,
and being enabled to offer the most satisfactory
references as to activity and capability for an
undertaking of this nature I take the liberty of
hoping for your Lordships protection.
I shall be happy to go out in any situation that would
merely intitle me to respect, and trust I should be
enabled to afford the most useful assistance to the
service, and to merit by care and attention to all
future welfare your Lordship's good opinions.
I have the honour to be respectfully My Lord
Your Lordship's most obed’t ser’t
John HOGAN, Halfpay
14th Reg’t

Family consisting of your pensioner
John HOGAN & wife
Son 16 & daughter 14 y’rs of age & healthy and
determined to remain in the settlement.

All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

This thread: