SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - George CRABBE re Joseph WHITE and John & William WITCOMBE
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:25:40 +0100 (BST)

These three testimonials are filed under M at CO48/44
at the National Archives in Kew, London. As they are
signed George Crabbe Minister presumably the clerk
thought Minister was his surname

CRABBE, George re Joseph WHITE (Filed under M)

597
Trowbridge
14th August 1819
We the Minister and Churchwardens of the Parish of
Trowbridge in the County of Wilts do certify that we
do know and are well acquainted with Joseph WHITE of
Trowbridge aforesaid Labourer who has a wife and five
children all parishioners of Trowbridge that the said
Joseph WHITE is an able bodied man but at present out
of employment. We therefore recommend him as a fit and
proper person to be sent to settle in his Majesty’s
colony at the Cape of Good Hope he having been there
at the taking of it as a mariner under the command of
Admiral Sir G. KEITH.
George CRABBE, Minister
Thos.TINDRELL }
Thos. STILLMAN } Churchwardens

CRABBE, George re John WITCOMBE (Filed under M)

598
Trowbridge
14th August 1819
We the Minister and Churchwardens of the Parish of
Trowbridge in the County of Wilts do certify that we
do know and are well acquainted with John WITCOMBE of
Trowbridge aforesaid Labourer who has a wife and four
children all parishioners of Trowbridge that the said
John WITCOMBE is an able bodied man but at present out
of employment. We therefore recommend him as a fit and
proper person to be sent to settle in his Majesty’s
colony at the Cape of Good Hope.
George CRABBE, Minister
Thos. TINDRELL }
Thos. STILLMAN } Churchwardens

CRABBE, George re William WITCOMBE (Filed under M)

595
Trowbridge
14th August 1819
We the Minister and Churchwardens of the Parish of
Trowbridge in the County of Wilts do certify that we
do know and are well acquainted with William WITCOMBE
of Trowbridge aforesaid Labourer who has a wife and
five children all parishioners of Trowbridge that the
said William WITCOMBE is an able bodied man but at
present out of employment. We therefore recommend him
as a fit and proper person to be sent to settle in his
Majesty’s colony at the Cape of Good Hope.
George CRABBE, Minister
Thos. TINDRELL }
Thos. STILLMAN } Churchwardens

All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html