SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Henry MATTERS
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:17:55 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed from CO48/44 at the National Archives in
Kew, London

535
Avely, Essex
29th July 1819
Sir,
Having a desire to emigrate to the Cape of Good Hope
with my wife and family consisting of 6 children
namely two sons between the ages of fourteen and
eighteen years, one son and three daughters under
fourteen years of age, being by trade a cooper and
have been employed as such for some years in the West
Indies, but do also understand something of the
Agricultural Business and my three sons have likewise
been for some time employed therein. Understanding
that a grant of land is to be made to each settler on
his arrival at the Cape, but that the victualling at
Government expence shall cease as soon as landed at
the settlement. Now Sir, what I beg to know is how
myself wife and family are to be supported until the
land so granted is to be brought into cultivation, or
untill the first harvest is got in, for I must
acquaint you that I am a man in very indigent
circumstances and by no means able to support myself
and them. What information you can give on this point
will be most thankfully acknowledged and received by,
Sir
Your most humble and obedient servant
Henry MATTERS

Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing. http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com