SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Thomas MORTIMER re Isaac BOX
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:27:48 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed from CO48/44 at the National Archives at
kew, London

730
Bellefield House
Trowbridge
9th Nov 1819
My Lord,
I feel my Lord that I shall be intruding on your
attention a circumstance of very trifling importance
but with the hope that your Lordship will pardon it.
Isaac BOX absconded from my service late on Saturday
night last, without any kind of notice or provocation
to induce him, taking with him livery and clothes &c
belonging to me & some money of the other servants. He
talked some days before that when he next moved it
would be to a distance of three thousand miles & I
have reason to believe that he has been induced by a
farmer, residing below Bristol (whose name I hope to
learn in an day or two) to emigrate with him as his
servant to the Cape of Good Hope.
If my Lord it will be under your control to detain
the said Isaac BOX (whole description below) I shall
feel the favour conferred on me & will on ascertaining
the same send the Constable of this Parish after him
I beg to remain my Lord
Your Lordship’s obedient humble servant
Thos. B. MORTIMER

The said Isaac BOX is about 22 years of age, five feet
seven inches high, dark brown hair & red coloured
cheeks. He went of with livery &c being a blue coat, a
red waistcoat, cord breeches and boots. His eyes were
dark & small & had a little impediment of speech.

[Note from GOULBURN: See if his name appears in any of
the lists from Bristol or its vicinity. If not assure
him that he will not be allowed to embark for the
Cape. If his name appears acquaint him with the port
at which he proposes to embark in order that he may
take the necessary measures for his prosecution]

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

This thread: