SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Becky Horne" <>
Subject: Newspaper cuttings from the astern Cape - STEVENSON
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 23:50:22 +0200

Hi Folks

Please join me in welcoming Joy Montgomery to the List. Hope you going
to be very happy with us. Here is a snippet of news from an Eastern Cape
Newspaper, which I hope makes you feel right at home.

Herald, 14 July 2006
100 Years Ago by Ivor Markman
A selection of interesting century-old snippets from The Herald of
yesteryear.
The week ending July, 14, 1906.

At the weekly meeting of the Port Elizabeth Town Council the Electrical
Engineer reported that 35 consumers had been added during the month of
June, making a total of 80, whilst 3,603 amps, equivalent to 8 candle
power, had been connected, but he expected to have 20 more in operation
in Princes and Queen Streets before the end of July.

He stated that 6,106 yards of cable had been laid, and that he had had
to shut down the cable laying work owing to the non-arrival of a parcel
of bitumen. The delay would probably be for a fortnight.

With regard to a letter from Mr. T. STEVENSON asking that the electric
cables may be laid to the Mill Park Estate so that he may be supplied
with electricity, the engineer reported that the cost of the extension
would be £150.

Best wishes
Becky

This thread: