SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] Settler Correspondence - Charles Augustus WENTWORTH
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:56:11 +0000 (GMT)

Transcribed from CO48/46 at the National Archives in
Kew, London

316
10 Well Yard
St.Bartholomew’s Hospital
August 6th 1819
My Lord,
I have read the conditions for emigration to the Cape
of Good Hope sent me in reply to my application to Mr.
GOULBURN to which I am ready to agree in every
respect, and request to know how I am to proceed or
where I am to apply for further information.
My Lord I am
Your Lordship’s obedient servant
Charles Augustus WENTWORTH

338
10 Well Yard
St.Bartholomew’s Hospital
August 12th 1819
Sir,
Having received no reply to my last application I
suspect there is some difficulty in getting to the
Cape of Good Hope at the expence of Government; if it
is possible I should very much desire it, as the
advantages from emigrating according to the conditions
stated in the circular you forwarded me are much
greater than what I should receive from going out at
my own cost, as the expence of taking out so many
working men is more than I can afford, but if I cannot
be fortunate enough to get out in a Government ship I
would go out at my own expence if I can obtain a
similar grant of land, and I will be especially
obliged to you if you would be so kind as to give me
more information on the subject, s at present I am
quite ignorant of the situation.
I am Sir
Your most obedient humble servant
Charles Augustus WENTWORTH

393
10 Well Yard
St.Bartholomew’s Hospital
August 23rd 1819
Sir,
I am induced by the encouragement offered by
Government (having no promising prospects in England)
to apply for the conditions on which persons are
allowed to emigrate to the Cape and to know if the
sons of officers in the army are entitled to any
privileges - if my being a surgeon would be any
advantage to me either by serving in that capacity on
the voyage or afterwards: in what situation the
settlement is made, whether near the coast or inland:
if far distant from the place of landing, does
Government assist the emigrants in getting to the land
appointed them? You will excuse my being so
inquisitive, but I am just beginning the World and to
avoid acting rashly have taken the liberty to request
what information you will be kind enough to give me. I
have acquired a perfect knowledge of agriculture and
understand the management of sheep and cattle. Is
there a ready market for the produce of the land? With
many apologies for my numerous enquiries
I am your obedient humble servant
Charles Augustus WENTWORTH

[Transcriber’s Note: Not listed in Nash but according
to Hockly’s ‘Story of the British Settlers of 1820’ he
was an independent settler on the Duke of Marlborough]