SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Peter Kirkman" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Green family
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:27:18 +0200

Hello Grant and Tessa,

May I butt in here?

1820 Settler John GREEN Jnr. (b.23 Dec 1813 in Walmer, Kent, England, d. 5
Feb 1882 in Alice) married Margaret KIRKMAN (b. abt. March 1817 in
Manchester,
Lancashire, England, d. 14 Sep 1883 in Enterprise, Morgan, Utah, USA) on 22
Dec 1835 in St. George's Cathedral, Grahamstown.

In March 1863 Margaret (Kirkman) GREEN, having adopted the Mormon faith,
emigrated to America with seven of her surviving children (James Kirkman
GREEN, George William GREEN, John GREEN, Margaret Matilda GREEN, Hannah
Martha GREEN, Henry Benjamin GREEN and Joseph Brigham GREEN). They sailed in
the "Henry Ellis" (documented on p.762 of Esme Bull's "Aided Immigration"),
and crossed the prairies to Utah in a covered wagon train, (just like in the
movies!) That wagon trek was recorded day by day by at least two separate
diarists. Margaret's descendants are pretty well documented in the LDS
databases.

The only child to remain in this country was Mary Ann GREEN, probably on
account of having married John ROBERTSON a week before the departure of her
mother and siblings. She lived in Alice, where her father died almost 20
years after
his family's departure, after spending a good portion of his life in the Kat
River Valley. Whether or not John ever had an intention of joining his
family in Utah at a later date, is a matter of conjecture. I have found no
evidence to suggest that he ever left these shores, and I am led to the
conclusion that John and Margaret may have come to a parting of their ways
when she left for Salt Lake City.

There is a "Green" burial plot in Enterprise, Utah, where Margaret and some
of her offspring are interred. Have images; willing to share with
interested listers.

Hope this contributes in some way?

Regards - Peter