SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Tombi Peck" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] PITT family
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:42:15 -0000

Hi,
I knew Haddenham well.....I used to live in Thame, Oxfordshire just a very
few miles away.
Haddenham still has a very 'villagy' feel to it best known now for St.
Tiggywinkles the wild animal sanctuary...(unless they have moved to larger
premises....)
Having acted as step-mom to a baby hedgehog (he was very tiny when we got
him) I appreciate their dedication to those delightful animals....during the
time I was bringing 'Hedgepig' up my friends would become very irritated as
I always had a plastic bag in my pocket and always walked with eyes glued to
the ground for likely stones and rocks....where slugs might be lurking.
We taught him to find his own food in time for a late break to Scotland that
year.....
He was easily recognisable as he'd had some damaged prickles on his right
shoulder which grew out white.....he came back for three years running and
then vanished....it was sad, but I had great satisfaction knowing that I had
raised him successfully enough to have a reasonable life....
when he arrived he had acute runs...kill or cure I gave him a drop of human
medicine....it worked! His early food was almost as expensive as
caviar....mealworms....boy can a baby hedgehog eat a lot of those!!
I have a photograph of him sleeping on my chest while I watched
telly....he's a very happy memory!
Groete,
Tombi Peck