SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Sue Mackay" <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] Settler Correspondence (1826) - Sarah DEVENISH
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 11:07:19 +0100

Transcribed from CO48/86 at the National Archives in Kew, London

117
34 Land? St
Boro
London
July 5th 1826
My Lord,
I presume the very great liberty of memorialising your Lordship for
a free passage on board the Barbara, now going to the Cape of Good Hope, as
I have an only brother Lieut. John DEVENISH settled in that colony some
years, and am myself an orphan and will be totally destitute on the widow of
Lieut. STRETCH embarking on the 7th inst for the Cape, unless you my Lord
will take my case into your gracious consideration by humanely ordering me a
passage in the same ship with the widow STRETCH, who was recommended to your
Lordship by General BOURTH, now on passage to that Colony. I have the honor
to be my Lord with the highest sentiments of respect
Your Lordship's obd't humble servant
Sarah DEVENISH

This thread: