SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "bouncing betty" <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] British naming customs
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:24:06 +0000

Hi Terry

I have come across a wife's surname becoming a child's second name in one of
my other British lines, being given to the second daughter (but third
child), who then passed it on again as a second name to her third son where
the line ends for me. This is the only occurence of it that I've ever seen
in my British lines though. I feel the USMAR line is rather unique in this
case as I have 4 confirmed generations of the name being passed on, and
possibly another 2 needing proof.

Perhaps it was a custom of the times but the records and tradition got lost
over the years because you mention the 1700's and mine was added prior to
1880, but I haven't found when it came about yet ...

Can anyone else comment?

Regards
Shelly