SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Becky Horne" <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] Newspaper cuttings from the Eastern Cape - Dynamite
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 20:37:42 +0200

Hi Folks

Please join me in welcoming disp1? to the List. Hope you going to be very
happy with us. Here is a snippet of news from an Eastern Cape Newspaper,
which I hope makes you feel right at home.

Herald, 6 July 2007
100 Years Ago by Ivor Markman
A selection of interesting century-old snippets from The Herald of
yesteryear.
News from week ending July 6, 1907.
Mail train runs into dynamite trucks

A railway collision occurred at Fourteen Streams last week which might have
had disastrous results. The mail train from Johannesburg to Cape Town ran
into a train consisting of trucks laden with dynamite and with a number of
empty carriages attached to the rear.

The latter were smashed, and as a result the traffic was considerably
delayed. Had the empty carriages not been attached to the trucks nothing
could have prevented a fearful explosion and probably great loss of life and
property.

Best wishes
Becky

This thread: