SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Sue Mackay" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] 1820 Settlers from Frome, Somerset (WEAKLEY)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:46:27 +0100

>Item 160
Date 25 Oct 1814, by banns
Joseph WEAKLEY Batchelor of this parish
Emma KINTON Spinster of this parish
Witnesses John MISON Wm CHUBB

>Sue could I ask you to see if any fathers or occupations are mentioned on
the register.

I doubt very much whether this information would be given on an 1814
marriage since by this time the registers were pre-printed and simply filled
in. I'll have a look, but I think as the originals are still with the
incumbent they may only have the transcripts that are on line anyway.
Information re the father's occupation was on the baptism forms, but it
doesn't look as though the WEAKLEY children were baptised in St.John's. I'll
keep an eye out when I look in the Beckington registers (covering
Standerwick) for any settler names. I notice from Nash that Joseph WEAKLEY
was a gardener, as was my William BARTLETT (who called his farm
Standerwick). I wonder if they worked at any of th houses mentioned in this
extract I found about Beckington:
"At the corner of the lane leading to the church is Beckington Castle, a
fine old gabled house with mullioned windows. Standerwick Court, a Queen
Anne mansion, is a mile away; and in the neighbourhood is Seymour Court, a
farmhouse, once the abode of Protector Somerset." (Project Gutenberg eBook
for Somerset)

I sent a copy of the correspondence from T. BUNN re Frome settlers to the
man who runs the Frome website. He replied asking me to join the Frome Yahoo
Interest Group, which I have done. It may be worth your while doing the same
(you can do so via his website) and putting a query on re Joseph WEAKLEY.

Sue

This thread: