SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Keith Meintjes <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Translation
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:47:30 -0400

Johann Heinrich HATTINGH was born c 1662. He came to the Cape in 1693
after the burning and destruction [rape, devastation] of his birth place
Spier (Speyer), Germany in 1689.In the Cape he first lived in
Olifantshoek on the farm known as La Motte (Wemmershoek) from 1695 -
1709. In 1709 he went to live in Stellenbosch on the farm Spier. He also
had the farm Hadersleben in Stellenbosch, this farm was located at the
crossroads between the Cape, the Kuile and Drakenstein. He also
possessed the farm Nietvoorby on the Banghoek road.

On 29 December 1708 according to Tas' diary Hattingh was attacked by a
sailor Jan Sax, he was robbed and lay helpless on the ground, it was
between Tijger Valley and the Kijlen. Hattingh's farm hand Hans Jurgen
Krayenbergh found him and with a wagon from Obits he was taken to the
Cape. Sax' sister was married to Obits and he was 22 years old and in
the service of Gerrit Basson.

He died in 1729.

He married 19 January 1689 Marie DE LANOY, she was from France and the
widow of Ary Lecrévent.

He married the second time at Stellenbosch on 6 November 1716 with 22
year old Susanna VISSER, she was the daughter of Maria van Negapatnam
(she is not necessarily the daughter of Jan Coenraad Visser). The two of
them must have lived together from at least 1709 because on 27 Oct 1709
the baptised their first child Marij. (Susanna married again later 10
Februarie 1732 Wilhelm Rubeck)

Baie dankie
groete Caroline
Belgium

Perhaps others can help with the place names. The farms La Motte and
Spier still exist. Drakenstein is, I believe, the area between Paarl
and Franschhoek. There is still a Banghoek road in Stellenbosch. I do
not know what "de Kuile" is.

Best wishes,
Keith