SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L ArchivesArchiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE > 2007-09 > 1190663925
From: "Becky Horne" <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] Boksburg Advertiser ~ Early days - Part IV
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:58:45 +0200
>From the pen of Tombi
[Continued from Part III]
Boksburg Advertiser and Boksberg Voolksblad
Thursday, June 17, 1937
During 1889 Mr. Gert KOTZE, of Rietspruit district, Heidelberg, Transvaal,
obtained the contract to build the dam, now called the Boksburg Lake.
During 1890 a heavy storm passed over Boksburg filling the lake to
overflowing, and the wall was improved year by year. Then there were times
when I have seen the lake absolutely dry.
The first doctor at Boksburg was Dr. F. ZIERVOGEL, later District Surgeon.
During 1889 Mr. MABERLY came to Boksburg; he only practised for a few months
when he left. Dr. STEENBERG and Dr. CUNNINGHAM practised in opposition for
During 1889 the railway line was built from Randfontein to Springs, a
first-class ticket from Boksburg to Johannesburg (single) costing 4s. 6d.
(return) 7s. 6d.; at present a return only costs 1s. 8d. The train was the
called the Rand Steam Train.
During 1889 Mr. Daniel COETZEE was dismissed from the Mines Department, and
Mr. W.J. PELSER was appointed. He only held office for a short time, when
he was succeeded by Mr. A. A. DIEPERINK, later member for Krugersdorp in the
Republican Volksraad. He also held office for a short time, when the late
Mr. Montague WHITE was appointed Mining Commissioner, and he was the real
father of Boksburg.
The criminal and civil departments also came under his administration.
The present Government Buildings were built during his term of office, also
a dwelling opposite Boksburg (then called Vogelfontein) station. The first
portion of the present gaol was built during his time.
He resigned during 1891 and was succeeded by Mr. B. J. KLEINHANS, later
Minister of Mines. His staff was increased by one responsible clerk, Mr.
Simon BEGEMAN, three clerks, Messrs. VAN DOORN, ENDT, and ARNOLDI, and one
special clerk, Mr. IKKINK. Mr. VAN STAVERING was promoted to Head Claims
Inspector, with Mr. Daniel KLEINHANS as assistant, Mr. B. J. KLEINHANS also
acting as landrost.
During 1895 Mr. VAN STAVERING resigned, and was succeeded by Mr. Albertus
CELLIERS, and about a year later Mr. Tom ZIERVOGEL was appointed to the
Conclusion of this part of the newspaper article.
Any suggestions how Tombi can obtain the second part of this article?
|[ZA-EC] Boksburg Advertiser ~ Early days - Part IV by "Becky Horne" <>|