SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "JB Hunter" <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] BARNES 1820
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:00:56 +0200

I would like some help with the Barnes family.

I have
James BARNES died 21 June 1853 age sixty seven, married but no wife stated,
died at "Hofox Cottage" (I think) looks like Portshead. Children are
Mary Hannah (?) GIBSON (wife of ? GIBSON)
James Whittaker BARNES (of the 73rd Regt)
Henry (?) Richard BARNES ?? 45th Rgt
Edward Albert (?) Bigesby (?) BARNES ?? 37th Regt
Can't read the rest.

I also have
James BARNES died 19 Sep 1883 age 76 years 5 months born Burton on Trent,
parents James & Mary born Dixon. Widower, died at Whittlesea, children
Sarah Jane GOLDSWAIN
James D BARNES
Hillaria A EVA
George H BARNES
Arabella W SHORT
Martha W HAWKIN
Caleb B BARNES
William J A BARNES
Emily R THOMPSON
Christopher W S BARNES
Left no property.

If these 2 are father and son when did James BARNES senior arrive in South
Africa as James BARNES junior is supposed to have arrived as the step son of
Henry HARPER with the HOWARD party.

Does anyone have any information on Henry HARPER - I can't find a death
notice.

Thanks
Bridget

This thread: