SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Becky Horne" <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] Newspaper cuttings from the Eastern Cape - Rabbit Act
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 22:03:08 +0200

Hi Folks

Please join me in welcoming Ingrid Mohr to the List. Hope you going to be
very happy with us. Here is a snippet of news from an Eastern Cape
Newspaper, which I hope makes you feel right at home.

Herald, 15 February 2008
100 Years Ago by Ivor Markman
A selection of interesting century-old snippets from The Herald of
yesteryear. News from week ending February 15, 1908.
The Rabbit Act

At the East London magistrate's court on Tuesday three prosecutions took
place under the little known law "Rabbit Act of 1890," which was framed with
the object of preventing rabbits from becoming a pest here as in Australia.

The accused were charged with failing to send the half-yearly return
required by the Act, of the numbers and descriptions of rabbits bred by them
during the previous six months.

The Chief Constable said the cases had been brought only as a warning. The
Bench, after warning the public as to the necessity of complying with the
Act, discharged the accused.

Best wishes
Becky

This thread: