SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L ArchivesArchiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE > 2008-04 > 1209272709
From: "Becky Horne" <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] Rev. George MORGAN
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 07:05:09 +0200
Rev. George MORGAN was born in Aberdeenshire in 1798, and was educated
there, at King's College. After completing his course in theology and while
he was preparing himself to be ordained, he was for a time teacher to a
family who belonged to the Presbytery of Loch Carron.
Morgan was one of the first Scotch candidates to offer his services to the
Dutch Reformed Church, on the recommendation of a number of professors and
ministers of Aberdeen, who spoke of him in the most glowing terms. Said one,
"He appears eminently pious, zealous and intelligent, and withal prudent,
judicious, modest and amiable".
After his legitimation the British Government, who appointed him as one of
the Dutch Reformed ministers at the Cape of Good Hope, sent him at its
expense to the Netherlands where he applied himself so ardently to the study
of the language that he completely mastered it, as is evident from the
D.R.C. Council minutes, which he wrote from 1826 to 1841, and of those of
the Presbytery of Graaff-Reinet, of which he was the meticulous scribe for
Rev. Mr. MORGAN arrived in the Cape towards the end of 1825, his name
appears in the "Opgaafrol" of Somerset Village in the same year, and in "Het
Nederduitsch Zuid-Afrikaansch Tijdschrift" of January-February, 1826, it is
stated that he was inducted here by Rev. Andrew MURRAY of Graaff-Reinet on
the 8th January, 1826.
For the following 16 years Mr. MORGAN devoted himself to his congregation
with exemplary ardour. Although strictly puritan in outlook, he won the
respect of all by his capability, love and faithfulness. He did "Huisbesoek"
and held services even in the most outlying parts of the district, and on
Sundays he regularly preached three sermons, during the morning in Dutch and
English, and in the evening alternately in Dutch and English. In church
meetings his opinions carried weight, and he played a leading role in the
extraordinary Synod held in 1837.
In 1841 Mr. MORGAN accepted a call to the Presbyterian Church in Cape Town,
and in October of that year he left Somerset. He remained interested in the
Dutch Reformed Church; and his son Charles Smith MORGAN, who was born in
Cape Town, on 25th April 1842 a few months after his parents left Somerset
and christened in the St. Andrews Church by Rev. Thomas SMITH, a missionary
from India, was one of the first four students al the Theological School at
Stellenbosch, when it was opened in 1859. It was in this son's "Pastorie" at
Rouxville that he and his third wife went to live after his retirement in
1871, and where he passed away on the 18th May, 1880 in his 82nd year, and
his wife six months later. They are both buried there.
Somerset East, 150 Anniversary
1825 - 1975
pg. 49 - pg. 50