SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "terrycoc" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Place name changes.
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 19:12:53 +0200

Hi Lynn
First, I guess I am not a might-have-been, as I also have my original birth
certificate, since I left Zim long before the change over in names.
Talking about birth certificates, I believe that recently I read something
about there being no "official" birth certificates in SA before the early
1800's.
Can someone clarify this aspect?

Secondly, where an event (birth or death was registered in say, the Orange
Free State Republic prior to 1902, then after Union in 1910, were these
records consolidated for the whole South Africa?
My query arises in regard to say, a death of one spouse being registered in
one Province pre 1899, & then the surviving spouse remarrying in another
Province after 1910, & there being no way to determine if the second
marriage was bigamous, if records were not "exchanged"?

Regards,
Terry Cockcroft

This thread: