SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Rodney Blair <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] FW: LEPPAN
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:48:52 +0000

Hi

I've just joined the list - with thanks to the Administrator for her/his words of welcome and to Sue Mackay for the intro.

Sue has forwarded me the two emails that are set out below and which were received on the list (today) before I joined but I am now in a position to reply to the question asked by Carol.

The LEPPAN in the law firm Blakeway & Leppan where you worked, Carol, was Vincent Angus LEPPAN, my grandfather, who died in Warmbaths shortly after WWI. Vincent Angus LEPPAN was the son of William Angus LEPPAN and Florence Froy LEPPAN, nee TROLLOP, whilst William Angus LEPPAN was the son of John Gregory LEPPAN and Sarah LEPPAN, nee TROLLOP. John Gregory LEPPAN was in turn the son of James LEPPAN, the 1820 Settler referred to in the email below from Sue (who now, thanks to Sue, has been established to be the son of another James LEPPAN, a mariner).

On the TROLLOP side, Florence Foye TROLLOP was the daughter of Charles Benjamin TROLLOP and the granddaughter of 1820 Settler Benjamin TROLLOP, whilst Sarah TROLLOP was the daughter of Settler William TROLLOP. William and Benjamin TROLLOP were brothers, their father being Joseph TROLLOP, another Settler.

My grandfather Vincent LEPPAN married Maud STRACHAN, daughter of William STRACHAN, son of James STRACHAN and Harriet BLAKEMORE (herself the widow of William BOWLES and the daughter of George and Sarah BLAKEMORE, also Settlers), and Selina STRACHAN nee OWEN; and Vincent and Maud LEPPAN's youngest daughter, my mother, Jacqueline Mary BLAIR nee LEPPAN, is still alive (91) and living in England, where I too live.

In my twenties (during the 1960s), I served my articles of clerkship with a firm of attorneys in Salisbury, Rhodesia called Coghlan, Welsh & Guest and, curiously, the firm's correspondent firm in Umtata was Blakeway & Leppan - though not so strange because the younger of my own firm's founding partners, Sir Ernest GUEST, studied law at SACS in Capetown with my grandfather, Vincent LEPPAN. Harold Benjamin King TROLLOP (and possibly other TROLLOPS too) were also partners of Blakeway & Leppan.

No doubt all these names and links are already familar to many on the list. I myself have a copy of Doris Trollip Gordon's book The Trollops of South Africa and Lyle Maud Rock's Hearts of Oak but, now that I am retired, I am interested in either confirming some of the details in the pedigrees of my ancestors mentioned by these two "pioneer" authors and/or in delving further back than they managed to delve.

In particular, I am interested in establishing the antecedence of -

- James LEPPAN

- Joseph TROLLOP and

- James STRACHAN (as my grandmother Maud LEPPAN used to point out, James Strachan's parents' names never appear to have been actually established anywhere and it would seem to be mere conjecture that his surgeon (?) father's name was also James)

(incidentally, I know my current interests are rather male-line-centric - but you've got to start somewhere!)

and, if anyone has already done any work here or has anything else to share, I would be really pleased to hear from them. For my part, I will also share on the list whatever I may manage to glean.

By the way, do all replies have to be on-list or, if anyone wants my own email address and other contact details, am I allowed to give them on-list?

Cheerio for now

Rodney Blair
Cambridge