SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Tombi Peck" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Children of Robert Pirie and Mary 'Rachel' HORN.
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:32:24 -0000

This Robert didn't die in infancy. He, many years later, saved his
step-father from being killed by a leopard (from the Lower Albany
Chronicles)....he was also mentioned in Robert Pirie's Will which Leanne
Starkey kindly shared with me. If you would like me to send you a
transcription I will happily do so.
If you would like copies of all the fantastic information uncovered by Sue
Mackay over the past two days let me know....it might fill your inbox and I
wouldn't send it unless youhave broadband....there are about 11 documents
now in all that we have had. I have also found pictures of a couple of the
churches mentioned as well to add into the mix.
It transpires that Robert Pirie married 3 times!

Wife one was Elizabeth BOOTH born London England d before 26 June 1815 (the
date of his next marriage). She had Margaret PIRIE about 1808 d 20 Aug 1897
in South Africa and Andrew PIRIE born 10 Sep 1809. It seems likely he died
as an infant.
Wife No. 2 was Mary PEARCEY b about 1795 England died before 20 Aug 1818
(date of his third marriage). Thy were married on the 25th June 1815 at St.
Mary's Church, Rotherhithe, Surrey and had Robert George PIRIE BORN 28 mAY
1816. Sue found his burial record for the 11th May 1817 at St. Mary's,
Rotherhithe, Surrey. It appears that they were living in Adam Street,
Rotherhithe at this time.
His 3rd and final wife was Mary 'Rachel' HORN (it appears someone who may
well be her brother also emigrated in Willson's Party...Robert Henry William
HORN b abt 1799 married Ann GRIFFIN 28 Dec 1819, St. James's Church,
Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England. He was aged 21 and a Mariner.
Mary Rachel HORN and Robert PIRIE had
1. Robert PIRIE born before 26 Dec 1819 (he was christened on the 26th
December 1819 at St. John's Church, Clerkenwell, London. He wasn't on the
Colonial list as he had not been born by that date (September). He doesn't
appear on Willson's list either but he is mentioned in his father's will
and also to do with his step-father, James RICHARDSON.
Lower Albany Chronicles:
2 November 1843.
"John (should be James) RICHARDSON had been attacked by a loepard while
huntin on his farm Thorn Hill. He brought it to the ground. He was rescued
by Mr. Pirie (his step-son) who killed the animal with his knife."
Robert Pirie is mentioned in his father's will:
".....which I leave to my dear children Robert, Sarah Ann, Mary Ann and
Elizabeth PIRIE at the death of their mother". Sgd. Robert PIRIE.
2. Sarah Ann PIRIE was born on the 1st June 1822 near Clumber, Albany,
Eastern Cape of Good Hope. She was baptised on the 25th March 1827 at the
Clumber Methodist Church, near Bathurst, Albany (the record for these
baptisms is incorrectly noted as being for Somerset East...per kind favour
of Ellen Stanton). She married George TARR on the 1st June 1843 at the
Methodist Church, Bathurst the witnesses being John RICHARDSON, Mary Ann
PIRIE and Robert PIRIE (must be Jnr.) She died on the 22nd March 1874 in the
Eastern Cape of Good Hope. I have her buried in Queenstown.
3. Mary Ann PIRIE born 1 July 1824 (I have her born at Seven Fountains,
Albany) Christened 25 March 1827 (Entry 87) Clumber Methodist Church near
Bathurst. Married John LLOYD, 19 March 1844 at Cuylerville, Bathurst. died
15 Jan 1910 at Frere Street, East London, Eastern Cape of Good Hope. burial
after 15 January 1910 at Westbank Cemetery, East London, Eastern Cape of
Good Hope. My great grandmother Amy Mary Rachel LLOYD was their youngest
child born 22 March 1867 d 1 July 1964 at Marivale Gold Mine (at the home of
her youngest daughter Thelia Mary (Dolly) McCullogh (born Lewis) at 116
Married Quarters, Marievale, near Nigel, Transvaal. Her second husband being
John Elias LEWIS (born Wales) died 23 August 1953 Sprinkell Sanatorium,
Germiston (I have his Death Notice, their joint will). I don't have a Death
Notice for my great grandmother. I can provide the names of the other
children if required.
4. Elizabeth PIRIE born 24 Nov 1826 Clumber, near Bathurst. Christening
(Entry 88) 25th March 1827 Clumber Methodist Church. Married unknown
RAILTON. She died about 1875.

I hope this helps.
It's been such a roller coaster...such amazingly good work by Sue Mackay!!!!
FANTASTIC.
Best Wishes,
Tombi Peck