SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "The Revd Fr Brian Tee" <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] COOKE
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:31:43 +0800

Hello Marcella,

I am not researching the COOKE family, but hope the following will be of
some help to you:

Arthur Wells COOKE, the son of Alfred and Anna COOKE, was baptised in St
Andrew's Church, Letheringsett, Norfolk, on 4 April 1880. His parents were
from Holt; his father was a Carrier.

His parents were married in St Andrew's Church, Holt, on 28 September 1879.
The were Alfred COOKE, Carrier, aged 22 and Annie WELLS, Domestic Servant,
also aged 22. Alfred's father was Robert COOKE, Drayman, and Annie's father
was Thomas WELLS, Bailiff.

This information is available on FreeREG.

Kind regards,
Brian+.

Hi Everyone
I'm trying to piece together some history to give the people in my trees a
third dimension ..... I would like the descendants to have a sense of why
and how their specific ancestors came to SA from the UK - I'm looking to add
a little more than the generic historic timeline......... so since the list
is currently discussing East London I am wondering whether
anyone has any info on the COOKE family that have been down there for
generations (and I believe still is):

Arthur Wells COOKE (maybe born Norfolk UK) 1880 - d 1931 married Florence
ALLEN -
son Herbert A COOKE b 1909 married Sheila GAYLARD

Also
Nellie E BURGESS b Wales 1898 d 1982 East London married S C Leighton SMITH
.............. they used to have a farm near Nahoon I think
daughter Pearl SMITH
son Clarence SMITH

Is there an East London Historic website out there - I can't find anything
except the usual touristy stuff

Thanks
Marcella

This thread: