SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Lynn MacLeod" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] John LEONARD . British Resident 1795-1819 Cape byPeterPhilips
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:40:21 +1300

Hi George
The reference in British Residents at the Cape is as follows:
LEONARD John, discharged from Royal Garrison Company
11 Jun 1817 Permission to Remain #1482 (Cape Archive Ref. file CO 6055/2)

There seems to be 3 early John LEONARDs in SA
1. John b Abt. 1791 Limerick, Ireland x Wilhelmina Hendrica KEMP d 29 Aug
1860 Riversdale
Children:
Deblij Maria, major, m. to Hendrick NIVEN
Edward Johannes,major
Jacobus Johannes, manor
John Daniel, major
Maurice William, major
Esther Catharina, major, m. to Nicolaas Jacobus DU PLESSIS
Martha Johanna, major, m. to Jacobus Hendrick JANSE VAN RENSBURGH
Gerardus Petrus, minor
Saly Susanna, minor
Petrus Philippus, minor

2. John b Abt. 1801 Ireland d 27 Apr 1843 Double Drift x Mary Ann KILLARRAY
Child: Timothy

3. John b Abt. 1790 London x Elizabeth TYLOR (1820 Settler with Bailies
Party). This couple had about 8 children all based around Grahamstown and
surrounds.

Looking at the above it would seem that your connection could well be with
No. 1 above..
Take care
Lynn