SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sunelia Heath <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] Queenstown Free Press (Jul 1895)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:50:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hallo :-)

Tuesday, June 4, 1895

Birth,-  At Burghersdorp, on 25th May, 1895 , the wife of H. Hardwicke ANDREWS,
of a Son.

Tuesday, June 11, 1895

Birth,-  At East London , on the 9th inst., the wife of Mr. R.W. WRIGHT, of a
Daughter.

Died,- At Roydon, district of Queenstown, on the 31st May, 1895, J.J. FINCHAM,
relic of the late Arthur FINCHAM, aged 74 years.
Died, At the Queenstown Frontier Hospital, of phthisis, on the 8th June, 1895 ,
James A. SINCLAIR, son of B.G. SINCLAIR, Esq., of London , England .

Friday,  June 14, 1895

Birth,-  At Queenstown, on the 12th June, the wife of Geo. DASHWOOD, of a Son.

Tuesday, June 18, 1895

The Old Veteran.
To-day (June 18th) eighty years ago the mighty struggle at Waterloo took place,
which decided once for all the fate of the first Napoleon- But amongst the newer
comers to Queenstown few are perhaps aware, that our township is still linked
with that mighty event.  We have in our midst, well cared for by the town, a
very old veteran Richard HOUGHTON, who as a boy of fourteen was with the Iron
Duke’s army.  We interviewed him yesterday and although with failing faculties
and getting a little mixed in his recollections, he says he still remembers the
onslaught of the Prussians under Blutcher, and the grand charge of the English
guards, which scattered the remains of the Grande Armie of France .

Friday, June 21, 1895

Birth,-  At Kei Ben, on the 15th June, 1895 , the wife of Mr. J.H.R. MORGAN, of
a daughter.
Married,-  At St. John’s, East London, on June 19th, 1895, by the Rev. J.W.J.
CLARKE, assisted by the Rev. C.W. WALLACE, of Queenstown, Bernard James EWINS,
son of the late Joseph EWINS, Newport, Mon., England, to Ruth, youngest daughter
of the late C. PENNINGTON, Esq., Ulverston, Lancashire, England.

Tuesday, June 25, 1895

The late Mr. MAULLIN
It is our painful duty so record the death on Friday last of Mr. J. MAULLIN, one
of the oldest residents of Queens Town  Mr. MAULLIN’s brother Thomas was first
of the family to arrive and opened a gunsmith’s business in the very early
days.  Mr. M.J. MAULLIN followed in 1861 and joined in the business, afterwards
purchasing it out and out.  He was a thorough business man, and had a capital
run.  It was only first class guns that he imported which gave him such a name
as to en..ane success, and he was successfull making sufficient to live on after
being disabled for work. – He was one of the leading masons in the early days:
was worshipful master of the Star in the East Lodge and subsequently Past
Principal of the Unity Chapter Royal Arch.-  He was a member of the Choir of St
Michaels, and took great interest in his church up to his illness in 1876.  In
that year he had a severe attack of rheumatic fever, and little hopes were
entertained of his recovery.  It left him paralized down the right side and such
he remained ever since.  Lately he has been subject to fits.  On Friday morning
he had a fit at four o’clock from which he never recovered passing away about
noon of that day.  The deceased leaves a widow and four children two sons and
two daughters to mourn their loss, for whom much sympathy is felt.  The funeral
took place on Saturday afternoon, and was largely attended.  Part of the funeral
service was held in St Michaels Church, and the remainder at the grave, the Rev.
J. GORDON officiating.

Kind regards
Sunelia Heath

This thread: