Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE > 2011-10 > 1317816615

From: Sunelia Heath <>
Subject: [ZA-EC] Fw: Queenstown - MAULLING
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 05:10:15 -0700 (PDT)
References: <000e01cc7c2b$796d0e90$631013ac@ADMIN1><><002401cc8260$2f87ec10$631013ac@ADMIN1><><008401cc8324$840ede50$631013ac@ADMIN1>
In-Reply-To: <008401cc8324$840ede50$631013ac@ADMIN1>

Hallo :-)
I had an inquiry about this family as result of the transcription of the Queenstown Free Press.  Sadly I know nothing of this family... is there someone on this list that might be able to help?
"My late grand mother was a Florence Maullin and unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about her family except that they were from Queenstown.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated"
Tuesday, June 25, 1895
The late Mr. MAULLIN
It is our painful duty so record the death on Friday last of Mr. J. MAULLIN, one
of the oldest residents of Queens Town  Mr. MAULLIN’s brother Thomas was first
of the family to arrive and opened a gunsmith’s business in the very early
days.  Mr. M.J. MAULLIN followed in 1861 and joined in the business, afterwards
purchasing it out and out.  He was a thorough business man, and had a capital
run.  It was only first class guns that he imported which gave him such a name
as to en..ane success, and he was successfull making sufficient to live on after
being disabled for work. – He was one of the leading masons in the early days: 
was worshipful master of the Star in the East Lodge and subsequently Past
Principal of the Unity Chapter Royal Arch.-  He was a member of the Choir of St
Michaels, and took great interest in his church up to his illness in 1876.  In
that year he had a severe attack of rheumatic fever, and little hopes were
entertained of his recovery.  It left him paralized down the right side and such
he remained ever since.  Lately he has been subject to fits.  On Friday morning
he had a fit at four o’clockfrom which he never recovered passing away about
noonof that day.  The deceased leaves a widow and four children two sons and
two daughters to mourn their loss, for whom much sympathy is felt.  The funeral
took place on Saturday afternoon, and was largely attended.  Part of the funeral
service was held in St Michaels Church, and the remainder at the grave, the Rev.
J. GORDON officiating.
Kind regards
Sunelia Heath

This thread: