SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Sarie Marais & Royal Wootten Bassett
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 22:06:10 +0200

I heard from an ex Royal Marine that their regimental song has the same tune.

Simone Kay

Sent:2011-10-16 22:00:23
Subject: [ZA-EC] Sarie Marais &Royal Wootten Bassett
Calling Tombi and any other South Africans in the UK, please help.

Slightly off topic so let me fill the rest of you in to an event that took
place in the UK today.

The news goes as follows;

Wootton Bassett has been officially renamed with the prefix "Royal" in a
ceremony in the Wiltshire town.

Thousands of people gathered for the ceremony, during which the Princess
Royal presented the Letters Patent on behalf of the Queen.

The move recognises the role the town played during the repatriation of UK
military personnel killed in war. (Afghanistan)

The Band of Her Majesty's Royal Marines, Collingwood, were marching to a
piece of music entitled Wootton Bassett, written by Capt Pete Curtis, a
Royal Marines director of music.

Flypasts of a C-17 Globemaster and a C130 Hercules took place over the town.
A Vulcan bomber was also due to fly over.

A peal of bells, especially written for the occasion, was sounded at the
town's church of St Bartholemew

Now what has got me all hot and bothered is that while Pricess Ann was
taking the salute the Royal Marine Band was playing a tune that got my feet
tapping and my body swaying and suddenly I started singing "Daar onder in
die mielies by die groot doring boom......" !!?? What? Yes the tune was
none other than "SARIE MARAIS"! I have replayed it a number of times off the
BBC Internet News Service and there is no mistaking it.

My question is this "Is the tune of Sarie Marais unique to the words or were
the words "applied" to an existing piece of music?

"Juslike ek voel no sommer Homesick, ek se^!!"

Regards
Mike