SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Which program?
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 04:04:54 -0400

Hi Fay,
I got rid of Family Tree Maker some 8 years ago when it froze on me....I tried everything I knew (and the company who sold me the programme knew) ....I lost oodles of information which I wasn't able to recover....I had to start again from scratch....I'd hit 22,000 entries at that time.

Recently the programme I am using now locked down....fortunatey (having learned from the previous experience) I now back up onto a stick every night so didn't loose anything except 5 names I'd entered after I'd backed up....luckily I knew exactly who they were.

Family Tree Maker doesn't supply as much room for notes as the protramme (RootsMagic 4) which I now use. I need lots of room for notes as that's where I keep my source information as well as just notes.

I don't like including information in 'Sources' as you end up with those awful long 'tails' at the end!! I like all my information in one place.
Love,
Tombi