SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Tessa King" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Which program?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:23:52 +0200

Hi all

As mentioned I use FTM Ver 16 and love it. I have over 110 000 records in it
and the only thing that Ver 16 doesn't like because I am using Windows 7 is
that it won't make a pdf file and bombs out. It does it in Word without a
problem. I too lost about 6000 records way back in an early version of 16
and this is perhaps why Tombi lost her data as well. I was sent a patch
after the fact and then a new CD and it has worked fine since then. There is
a large forum website and just about anything you want to know is answered
on it. The Archives are worth a look as well. They aren't happy with the
newer versions and they would not handle the size of my tree. Legacy on the
other hand can handle a tree of this size and much, much larger if you use
the full version. I remember when I changed from 7 to 11 long ago, I was not
happy but one soon gets used to it. But the new version is totally
different. It's another company and another format.

Sources and GEDCOM's are a problem with any of the packages as no two
packages use the same facts (except for the common ones). I tried pulling in
a GEDCOM onto PAF long ago and baptisms are not considered to be baptisms as
we know them. I ended up changing my facts to christening's as a result.
Another thing to watch out for with any GEDCOM is that if you have added
photo's or documents to your tree, they will not be included in the GEDCOM
and you lose this info.

Right now I am happy with my old FTM and won't change.

Take care
Tessa