SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Property Listing Association" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Latest list of names cited in'Cornish Pioneers in SouthAfrica'
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 07:07:42 +0200

Richard Sobey b. 4 May 1868 - Larryn, Cornwall, England d. Indwe South
Africa 4 July 1933.
MARRIED AT WESLEY CHURCH BODMIN ENGLAND 8 Nov 1888
Annie Dungey b. 24 September 1867 - Irevenna Creed Cornwall England d.
Queenstown South Africa 27 Sept 1933

Richard left for Africa 27 March 1881 Have a picture of his parents taken in
Cornwall - very stern looking!!
Wife and 2 children came to Africa 9 October 1892
Wife and 2 children went back to England March 1894
Wife and 2 children returned to Queenstown 24 December 1894

Children:
William Ellis b. 20 Feb 1890 Princes Cottage Larryn England d. 1 Nov 1918 at
Clifton Vale Farm. MARRIED - Frances Ruth Nardie at Thomas River Church

Amelia Elizabeth b. 8 Nov 1891 Princes Cottage Larryn England MARRIED -
Herbert James Scott at Wesley Church Queenstown

Stanley Maxwell b. 8 Sept 1893 St Austell Cornwall England - no further info
presume he died at a young age.

Olive b. 24 Feb 1897 Queenstown South Africa d. 4 April 1897 Queenstown
South Africa

Ethel Heath b. 24 Mar 1898 Butterworth South Africa. MARRIED Robert
Goddard at Zeerust South Africa 7 July 1925

Richard Vivian b. 3 Nov 1899 Butterworth South Africa. MARRIED Cornelia
Jacomina

Dorothy b. 12 Dec 1901 Queenstown South Africa d. 8 Jan 1902 Queenstown
1902.

Arthur Courtney b. 5 Aug 1905 Queenstown South Africa. MARRIED Mildred
Margaret Wright 20 June 1931 East London ------ MY HUSBANDS GRANDFATHER

Marjory Hilda b. 12 Jan 1909 Truvenna Queenstown SA

There is apparently a vast Sobey family in South Africa. My husband's Uncle
has the family bible but this is basically what I have got so far as I have
been researching the Hobbs family.

Penny Hobbs
Property Listing Association