Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH > 2003-01 > 1043142740

From: "Heather MacAlister" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-IB] South Africans in WWII
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:52:20 +0200

Hi Julia

Burial Sites Unit of the South African Heritage Resources Agency (SAHRA) -
holds a database of casualties of those who were killed in conflict and war
in South Africa from the Frontier Wars to the recent Liberation Struggle.
PLEASE NOTE: the data does not hold information of persons who participated
in a war/conflict and survived.

Their most extensive and comprehensive section of the database consists of
the casualties of the Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1902. They have the names of the
British soldiers, Boer forces and concentration camp victims on the
database. The information provided about a casualty of this war will state
surname, initials, age, rank, regiment, place and date of death, where
he/she is buried and whether a gravestone, memorial, etc., marks the grave
site. The names of those killed in liberation struggle is increasing daily
as we receive lists of those who lost their lives (on whatever side they
fought) in this conflict. Street Address: 21 Rockridge Road, Parktown,
Johannesburg. Postal Address: P.O. Box 87552, Houghton, 2041. Tel:
011-4828365 Fax: 011-4828196. Office hours: 8.30 - 16.30. Office hours are
from 08h30 - 16h30.

If people request lists of information then they do charge a fee for
printouts made at R0-50 cents per page. If it is a large enquiry then they
will also charge a research fee dependent on what is needed and how much
work is involved in finding the information. Unfortunately, they cannot
e-mail information to people directly from the database. Email:
or

Also www.anglo-boer.co.za

regards

Heather

Heather's South African Genealogy Help List - www.genealogy.co.za
Join the South African-British-Immigrants newsgroup -
to join just type in
the word Subscribe and nothing else in the subject bar.
To join the Cape Town Family History Society you can send an email to
for more information.