SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH-L ArchivesArchiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH > 2003-08 > 1062336267
From: "Becky Horne" <>
Subject: [ZA-IB] Fort Frederick - Port Elizabeth
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:24:27 +0200
Captain Francis EVATT was one of Port Elizabeth's earliest residents. He came here to take command of Fort Frederick in 1817 and here he retired. In 1831 he married the widow, Anna de la HARPE and had a son and a daughter.
With the degeneration of Russell Road Cemetery due to age, vandalism and neglect, it was decided to remove the gravestone to St. Mary's Church for safe-keeping. On 3 Sep 1956. the Captain's remains were exhumed and re-interred in the grounds of Fort Frederick. The wording on the original gravestone was reproduced on the new stone, along with additional information about the re-interment. The original stone is still at St. Mary's.
Sacred to the memory of Captain Francis EVATT
Late 21st Light Dragoons
34 year's Commandant of Fort Frederick, Algoa Bay
He died on the 21st March 1850 aged 80 years
Having served his country upwards of half a century 38 years of which he was a resident of this town
The British Settlers of 1820 were landed and under his superintendance and treated by him with the greatest kindness and hospitality
He found this port a military outpost and lived to see it become the second commercial town of the Cape of Good Hope
His tomb is erected to his memory by his friends.
This inscription is from the original stone now in St. Mary's Church
The relics of Captain EVATT were re-interred on this spot on Settlers Day 3 Sep 1956
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Researching: HENWICK; HILL; HORN(E); MEREDITH; DEYZEL; LARSEN; WILSON;
LYNAR; HENNING; STERLEY; THECK; BEST; BRAUN, GREENER; GLANVILLE.
|[ZA-IB] Fort Frederick - Port Elizabeth by "Becky Horne" <>|