Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH > 2004-12 > 1104560197

From: "Peter Gundry" <>
Subject: Re: BUTLER + BAYLY & BARTLETT
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 08:16:37 +0200

Hi Mark

I will also be interested to at least discover who Leonard Thomas BUTLER's
(death date 4 May 1994) parents were as DN (Eastern Cape Master's Office),
signed by grandson N G Butler in Grahamstown on 18 May 1994, does not give
grandfather's age and notes "parents unknown".

Leonard Butler's wife Frances Caroline BARTLETT (div. Transvaal 1948) was
daughter of Frederick Johannes BARTLETT (grandson of Rev. John BARTLETT,
posted by London Missionary Society to Cape in 1812) & Lydia Helen BAYLY
(granddaughter of Lieut. Thomas Birt BAYLY [one of the lines I am following]
who arrived in the Cape 1830, first teaching at Worcester for a very short
while before settling in Clanwilliam).

Martha Magdalena BAYLY, an older sister Lydia Helen, married Frederick
Johannes Bartlett's brother John Henry BARTLETT.

I will mail you some charts off list.

If anyone on the list has connections with the BARLETT/BAYLY families, I
will appreciate them getting in touch.

Cheers

Peter in Zimbabwe

PS This from British Residents of the Cape 1795-1819 by Peter Philip
published by David Philip, Cape Town ISBN 0 908396 46 5: "BARTLETT, John
(Rev,), LMS missionary, from Portsea, Hampshire. 1812 he was stationed at
Bethelsdorp; 1814 at Theopolis; 1816 at Pella. 1825 he moved to Campbell and
severed his connection with the LMS (182). 11.12.15 mar, (Graaff-Reinet) of
J B from Portsea, and Johanna Margaretha GOEYEMAN (2 children), 3.7.20 mar.
(Graaff-Reinet) of J B and Susanna Elizabeth Jacoba Haarhof (5 children)
(160/161). In 1836 he was still at Campbell (VRS, no 49). 13.12.49 death of
J B (160)"