Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH > 2007-05 > 1178793931

From: "Graham Dickason" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-IB] Extracts from South African Commercial Advertiser March1829
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 12:45:31 +0200

MARRIAGE (by special licence) Wednesday 4 March 1829
In the English Church Cape Town Friday 27 (February) 1829 by the Rev. Geo.
HOUGH MA,
Senior Colonial Chaplain:
Frederick DICKINSON Esq, Private Secretary to His Excellency the Governor,
to Miss Maria Johann (a) JOUBERT

I was glad to read this as it clears up a mystery as to who these two people
were. In the Cape Archives there are two earlier testaments referenced and
filed under the name of Robert Dickason, namely , Master of the Supreme
Court, Estates 7/1/198 Ref 100 & 101. Written in Dutch, the Testator/s being
Frederic(sic) Dickason(sic) "geboren te Deptford in het Graafschap Kent,
England " and " Maria Johanna Joubert geboortig Stellenbosch domicile " who
appeared before Johan Godfrey Gabriel Lindenberg, Notary & Clerk, as being
the representatives of Robert Dickason on 24th April 1834. In this document
mention is made of Henry Dickason of American Square, London, England. This
is Reference 100. Reference 101 is an earlier testament made by the same two
people on 25th February 1829. Both documents appear to be handwritten copies
of the originals and the signatures given are therefore in the handwriting
of the copier.
When I came across this, I was very perplexed, as it seemed to relate to my
1820 ancestor Robert Dickason, who had embarked at Deptford with his
children, Amelia, Frederick, Alfred and Henry. Frederick had married Aletta
Johanna Bouwer in Grahamstown on 9th Sept 1836 and therefore the question
was, had he married before? I ruled it out on the basis that if it was my
Frederick, he would have been only twenty years old in 1829 and it seemed
most unlikely that given their poverty, he would have made his way to Cape
Town and be entering into a marriage there.
I shall be taking up the issue with Cape Archives, asking them to correct
the spelling of their reference.
Graham Dickason

This thread: