Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH > 2008-03 > 1205561369

From: Delia Robertson <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-IB] PIKE DNA unites distant relatives South Africa, US, UK
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:09:29 +0200

Hi Jennifer,

It depends on whether you just want to know your own or start a family
project. If its just your own - and perhaps your immediate relatives -
you could select one of the anonymous ID projects that test only
mitichondrial or Y-chromasome DNA - such as National Geograpic's
Genographic Project.

If you are wanting more specific analysis then you need to select a
project or private group that guarantees your privacy, including that
you are identified within any project by a reference number only, and
that individual IDs are very carefully secured.

I would not select any project within the United States and even such
countries as the UK given the current wide powers available to
governments to demand any information they think they need in the
so-called "war on terror".

Kind regards
Delia Robertson

Jennifer Kenyon wrote:
> Hi
> How does one get one's DNA tested and then sent to you and how secure is
> this data from meddling government agencies world wide?
> Thanks
> Jenny

This thread: