Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH > 2011-02 > 1298808278

From: Sunelia Heath <>
Subject: [ZA-IB] Fw: Queenstown Free Press (May 1896)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 04:04:38 -0800 (PST)

Hallo  :-)

Friday, May 1, 1896

Birth,-  At Queenstown, on the 22nd April, 1896 , the wife of Mr Ernest Charles
WOOD of a Daughter.

Died,-  At Prairie Lodge, Queen’s Town, on April 28th, 1896 , Leonard Wesley,
the beloved son of W.B.  and S.A. SCOTT, aged 5 months.
Died,-  At Cathcart, 21st April, Constance Fanny, only and beloved child of
Edward and Nora WYLDE, aged 2 months and 11 days.

Tuesday, May 5, 1896

Notice to Creditors
Estate of the late J.C.P. DREYER surviving spouse S.E.M. DREYER, of Hopefield,
Queenstown.
Price Bros.,
For Executors Dative.

Married,-  On the 24th instant, at St. John’s , East London , by the Ven.
Archdeacon GRANT, George Robert BULTER to Maud Mary PEARSON, youngest daughter
of the lat G.F. PEARSON, of Brighton, Sussex.-  No cards.
Friday, May 8, 1896

Birth,- At Merino Walk, Tylden, 2nd May, the wife of Maunsel LEWIS, of a Son.

Tuesday, May 12, 1896
Died, At Lesseyton Drift, Queenstown, on May 8th, Richard YOXALL, aged 38 years
and 10 months.

Obituary
We regret to hear of the death of Mr. YOXALL, who for some time was the
proprietor of YOXALL’s, a well known hotel at Lesseyton Drift, near Queenstown.
He was a sufferer from diabetes and died on Friday last.  He was buried at
Queenstown on Saturday, the sermon being conducted by the Rev. J.P. RITCHIE.
We also have to record the melancholy news of the death of Mr. WHITE, late of
Cathcart.  It is only a few weeks ago since Mr. WHITE was married, and a portion
of his honeymoon was spent at Queenstown.  We offer our sincere sympathy to the
young and bereaved widow.

Friday, May 22, 1896
(note:  oh my goodness!  Sorry, couldn’t resist. :-D)
Girls, marry smokers.
An East London paper very considerately offers the following piece of gratuitous
advice for the fair sex:-
“Don’t marry husbands that don’t smoke, as they are nasty.  They lift the lids
and peep into pots, and pans, and things.  Husbands that smoke when scolded say
nothing, but smoke their pipes.”
Friday, May 29, 1896

Died,- At Wynberg, on the 21st May, 1896, in his 80th year, George BEALE, nearly
related to Mr. S.R. BARNES, of Queenstown.
Died,-  At Imvani, on the 24th May, 1896, Earnest Charles William the only
beloved infant son of Mr. And Mrs. E.A. COGILL.

Married,- At Wesley Church, Queenstown, on the 25th of May, by the Rev. P.
TEARLE, Charles W. LEACH, of Bluebank (Z.A.R.) to Amy, daughter of George
COOPER, of Whittlesea, No cards.

Kind regards :-)
Sunelia Heath
Researching all Heath's in RSA