Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH > 2012-05 > 1337587037

From: "Helena Garner" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-IB] Spencer family-Zimbabwe
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:57:17 +0200

Rod,

I do not know if this will be of any help to you.
Regards
Helena Garner

My husband's Garner family had a daughter who married a SPENCER in Durban:
b6Caroline GARNER * 1866.02.22, Durban = 1866.04.08, St. Paul's,
Durban, Rev. Lloyd (Sponsers: William Knowles Garner) + 1944-07-21, Durban x
1899.04.17, Robert Henry Spencer * 1860-04-?, Durban = 1860.05.?, Durban +
1936.07.10, Durban, blacksmith, both buried in block K, grave 27, Stellawood
Cemetry, Durban. They lived at 39 Fenniscowles Road, Umbilo, Durban and had
5 children. After Robert Spencer's death Caroline lived at 151 Fenniscowles
Road, Durban. Today we find businesses and flats at these two sites. Robert
and Caroline's daughter, Annie Norah Pike lived at 75 Cherry Ave,. Manor
Glenwood Gardens, Durban, a house that still exists today.

Robert Henry Spencer was the son of Arthur Spencer, a shipwright and Martha
Elizabeth Saunders. Arthur Spencer was the son of Robert Spencer * 1803 +
1855, buried 1855.12.08, and Mary Spencer * 1810 + 1873 from Leeds who came
on the "Aliwal" Arthur married M.E. Saunders * 1837 + 1909 in 1849 When
she died Arthur's whereabouts were unknown, he had'nt been heard of for
15-16 years.

According to "Origin of Durban Street Names" by John
McIntyre, Oct. 1956 Spencer Road in Durban has been named after Arthur
Spencer, referred to as an old Sydenham family, who owned property and lived
at Clare Estate for many years c1Robert William SPENCER
c2Mary Theresa SPENCER * 1891-06-13, Durban
c3Annie Norah SPENCER x Rowland William PIKE
c4David Knowles SPENCER
c5Lancelot Henry SPENCER