Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH > 2014-05 > 1399229832

From: "Ellen Stanton" <>
Subject: [ZA-IB] Domestic Announcements 15 September 1906
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 13:57:12 -0500

DOMESTIC ANNOUNCEMENTS

Transcribed from South Africa Magazine 15 September 1906

BIRTHS

BAILEY—On the 11th inst., at 3, Durand Gardens, Clapham, the wife of
Frederick Bailey, of Johannesburg, a son.

BURKE—On August 12, at Kimberley, the wife of E. C. Lardner Burke, a son.

CATOR—On the 13th inst., the wife of Arthur Charles Albemarle Cator, of
Salisbury, Rhodesia, a daughter.

GOCH—On the 10th inst., at Bath, the wife of George H. Goch, of
Johannesburg, a son.

WATT—On August 18, at Turffontein, Johannesburg, the wife of Robert Watt,
twin daughters.

WINGFIELD—On the 10th inst., at Kingussie, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, the
residence of her mother, the wife of Alfred L. Wingfield, Transvaal Civil
Service, a son.

MARRIAGES

BICKNELL—BENNETT—On the 6th inst., at St. George’s Church, Maritzburg, by
the Very Rev. Dean Barker, Cyril Clarence Bicknell, of Durban (late West
Yorkshire Regiment), youngest son of Percy Bicknell, of Gurteen, co.
Tipperary, Ireland, to Elaine May, second daughter of T. A. Bennett, R.M.,
of Knock Carrig, Hilton Road, Natal.

LAING—STURDY—On the 5th inst., at Pretoria, by the Rev. Mr. O’Meara, James
Watson, son of F. A. Laing, Glasgow, to Ethel Elizabeth Angus, second
daughter of George Sturdy, Glasgow.

MACAULAY—BRUORTON—On August 14th at the English Church, Uitenhage, Cape
Colony, Kenneth Campbell, eldest son of Dr. Macaulay, of Watchet, to
Florence Elinor, daughter of the late William Bruorton, M.R.C.S., of
Yetminster, Dorset, and of Mrs. Bruorton, of Sandfontein, Uitenhage.

RAWSTORNE—MACKESON—On the 12th inst., at St. Saviour’s Church, South
Hampstead, Fleetwood Edwin, eldest son of the late James Rawstorne, of South
Africa, to Gertrude, daughter of the late Rev. Charles Mackeson, Vicar of
All Hallows, North St. Pancras.

WATSON—MACDONALD—On the 8th inst., at Inverness, by the Right Rev. Aeneas
Chisholm, LL.D., Bishop of Aberdeen, Andrew Gordon Watson, M.B., of
Nieuwoudtville, Cape Colony, to Clementina, third daughter of Andrew
MacDonald, Sheriff-Clerk of Inverness-shire.

WOOLARD—TULLIS—On the 7th inst., at Pittenweem, by the Rev. Mr. Ray, of
Cellardyke, Thomas J. Woolard, Grahamstown, to Annie Wilson, Edinburgh,
second daughter of Robert W. Tullis, Chicago, U.S.A.

DEATHS

ANDERSON—On August 19, at Harrismith, Orange River Colony, Peter Anderson,
late of Aberdeen

CUMBER—On the 11th inst., at Smithfield, Orange River Colony, Charles Edward
Cumber, aged 27, Assistant Resident Magistrate, Smithfield, the youngest son
of Captain and Mrs. Cumber, late the Buffs.

D’ARCY-EVANS—On the 8th inst., at Hythe, Captain George William Wallace
D’Arcy-Evans, late 20th Hussars, in his 46th year.

HADDOW—On August 1, at Cape Town, suddenly, of heart failure, James Andrew
Haddow, of Herne Hill, aged 33 years.

HASSELL—On the 10th inst., at Bath, Annie, the beloved wife of Colonel
Hassell, J.P. (late the Royal Scots).

KING—On August 27, at Victoria, British Columbia, Margaret Helen (Ritchie),
wife of Andrew Dow King, of Treurfontein, East Griqualand.

NORMAN—On the 11th inst., at Flint House, Epsom, after a short illness, Emma
Marion, wife of Sydney Campbell Norman.

ROLFE—On July 4, at Salisbury Hospital, Rhodesia, Percy Alfred Rolfe, of
Northampton.

Miscellaneous articles on the same page:

The wife of a prominent Jansenville farmer, Mrs. James Biggs, and her
sister, Mrs. Barnes, have been very severely mauled by a vicious ostrich,
which attacked them suddenly on the veld. Mrs. Biggs had her arm broken, and
Mrs. Barnes received an ugly gash on the forehead, and other bruises on her
face, her teeth being knocked in. Assistance arrived in time, and the
condition of the ladies is not critical.

Judgment was given at Durban recently in a case in which two Europeans,
named Jones and Watson, were charged with the theft of £16 from Hans Wagner,
a German fisherman, in connection with a supposed bet. When the accused were
arrested a bundle of dummy bank-notes and a book with fictitious bets were
found in their possession. The Magistrate, in passing sentence of a fine of
£10 or one month’s imprisonment, said he had taken into consideration the
extreme foolishness of the prosecutor in handing over his money to
strangers.

THE SETTLERS AND LORD MILNER

A memorial having been sent by 261 of the new settlers of the Transvaal to
Lord Milner, the following letter has been received from Lord Milner in
reply. The letter is addressed to Mr. Hugh A. Wyndham, of Kromdraai, near
Standerton: “My dear Wyndham,--I have just received your letter of June 15,
and the parcel which accompanied it, containing a Memorial signed by some
200 British farmer-settlers in the Transvaal, in which they are good enough
to express their thanks to me for the ‘defence of their interests’ and their
‘continued confidence’ in me. I cannot sufficiently thank you for the pains
you must have taken to collect all these autographs, coming from every part
of the Transvaal and in most cases from very remote farms. It must have been
a laborious business; but the result is all the more striking, and is
naturally very gratifying to me. I do not know how I can convey my thanks to
all the signatories of the Memorial for their expression of confidence or
for the cordial letters by which it is in many cases accompanied. I should
be very glad, however, if you could, through the Press or otherwise, let it
be as widely known as possible, that I have received the Memorial, and that
I am sincerely grateful for it. I am glad to think that the British settlers
in the Transvaal, with those in the Orange River Colony, from whom I have
received similar expressions of confidence, realize how deep is the interest
which I continue to take in their welfare, and how firm is my conviction of
the wisdom of the policy of encouraging British settlers to make homes for
themselves in the new Colonies. It is little, alas, that I am able to do in
these days for the British farmers in the Transvaal and Orange River Colony,
but such services as I can I always shall most gladly render, and I am
indeed proud to think that they still look upon me as a friend.”

INDIANS IN NATAL

The Secretaries of the Natal-Indian Congress have addressed a petition,
dated August 15, to Lord Elgin on the subject of the Municipal Corporations
Consolidation Bill recently passed by the Natal Parliament. The petition
urges that the disenfranchisement of British Indians at municipal elections,
which is contemplated by the Bill is felt to be a serious grievance, since
British Indians pay the same rates as other ratepayers. It is pointed out
that there are some 15,000 free Indians in Natal, most of whom are to be
found in Durban and belong to the mercantile classes, and a favourable
consideration of their case is urgently requested.

Mr. W. H. Fick has been elected Mayor of Piquetberg.

Transcribed by Ellen Stanton

Email:

This thread: