SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 1998-04 > 0893162780

From: Eileen & Marty Russell <>
Subject: Re: NIND
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 05:46:20 -0700

For an obscure name there has been a lot of interest in NIND. This is
one of the names on our list because Marty's grandmother was Adelaide
NIND. We made contact with Angela Acheampong and Henry Roughton-Skelton
in England, who between them have gathered a vast amount of information
on this family and we now have our branch back to Christopher NIND in the
mid-1500s. Unfortunately neither Angela nor Henry use typewriters, and
refuse to consider computers and the Internet so communicating with them
is slow and they aren't able to join in this debate.

Although there are NIND descendants in SA - Angela's sister lives at
Tugela Mouth and Henry's nephew is in Springs - we have not traced anyone
bearing the name except for Charles Edward NIND who was a chummy of Cecil
John RHODES and whose signature appears on the Big Cheque.

Charles NIND was a director of De Beers, lived in Kimberley for years,
sat on committees etc, so we were able to find out quite a lot about him.
There are Nind Streets in Kimberley and in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
Charles married late in life and had no children, he died in Kimberley in
1917. Alice Nind, his widow, died in Italy in 1947, by happy chance her
estate papers are in Pietermaritzburg, as her executors and heirs were in
Natal.

It sounds as if the James NIND Sharon is looking for could have been up
to mischief if his headquarters were in Kilwa, renowned for slave and
ivory trading. This is the first naughty Nind we have come across, most
of them appear to have been real goody-goodies, many were members of the
clergy, yeoman farmers or in the case of our bunch, poor but honest
wallpaper hangers.

If any one has any information on NINDs we would be delighted to hear
about it.
--
Eileen & Marty Russell
Richards Bay