SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 1999-03 > 0922426857

From: van Rensburg <>
Subject: Re: Gerrit Basson & van Rensburg
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 16:40:57 +1100

Hi Mansell,
Thanks for your input, the connection between Gerrit Basson and Aletta
van der Merwe seems still a bit distant and round about, to warrant them
being the witnesses to the first born son. I do find the commonality of
the farm "Kun(n)enburg" interesting.

With regards to a child you refer to as Hendrik with Gerrit Basson and
his wife being the witnesses at this baptism on 1 Jan 1710. Are you
stating this to indicate that they were still in the Cape then or what
else are you getting at? Or are you question them being witnesses to the
baptism of Johannes at Stellenbosch 7 July 1709 (I have not seen the
primary document with regards to this last baptism, I obtained it from
J.H van Rensburg book "Die Rietvleiers van Rensburgs")

Obviously with them being the witnesses this late, negates them going to
Europe as per de Wet's source.

I would appreciate further clarification so that I am following what you
are saying. It is good to be able to try all options and then eliminate
those that leads one up the garden path, obviously the Rynnick
connection was not familial if she did not hail from Leiden.

With kind regards
Andre van Rensburg

This thread: