SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 1999-04 > 0925412723

From: MICHAEL O'CONNOR<michael.o' >
Subject: Re: Information on Military Regiment
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:05:23 +0200 (GMT)

The obvious answer is from the regiment itself - if you can find an address
for it.
The other possible answers are from the Public Record Office at Kew which
has service records of some soldiers. Also try the SUBJECT INDEX CATALOGUE
(use the fiche version) at your nearest LDS. The have some microfilms of the
service records available from Kew. You may just be lucky. You would have to
look at Great Britain\Military Records\Regiment
When all else fails try calling his name up on the computer in your nearest
archives. 1908 would be a bit late for him to have served in the South
African Constabulary (a paramilitary police force formed after the Boer
War), the enlistment records of some of the men concerned are in the
archives in bloemfontein and Pretoria but you often get a reference to them
on the archives computer. Also look at the Medal Roll for the NAtal Native
Rebellion Medal 1906 (prepared by the late Don Forsyth) to see if he perhaps
served in that - the first colonial rebellion put down entirely by colonial
troops.
Good luck and kind regards
Mike