SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 1999-09 > 0938276501

From: Ken Markham< >
Subject: Ferreira ... ... ...
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:21:41 +0200

Mye Goodye Cosines,

[ARTICLE No.1]
[FROM NEWSPAPER CUTTINGS]
???UARY 1, 1952
[Picture of Mr. P.L. Ferreira]
Mr. P.L. Ferreira, who was settled in Enkeldoorn over 50 years ago,
describes some of his experiences in the article at the foot of the
page to-day. Mr. Ferreira, who practised law in Enkeldoorn, tells
of the interest which Cecil Rhodes took in the district and the
high regard in which he was held.

[ARTICLE No.2 - NOT DATED]
Mr. P.L. Ferreira, of Enkeldoorn, is one of the few Law Agents left
in the country and still rides on horseback into town each day. He
came to Rhodesia in 1895 from Port Elizabeth, riding most of the
way. He and Mrs. Ferreira will celebrate their Diamond Wedding
anniversary in January.

[ARTICLE No.3]
[DATED FRIDAY, JULY 5, 1957]
[Picture of Mr. P.L. Ferreira]
Eighty-nine-year-old pioneer arrives to see Queen Mother

Charter district's oldest pioneer, Mr. P.L. Ferreira of the 1895
column, came to Salisbury yesterday complete with medals, walking
stick --- and a small leather bag containing five embossed-card
invitations he has received for the Royal functions.

Mr. Ferreira --- "I will be 90 in six months," he says --- proudly
pointed out the three medals he was wearing. One was presented by
King George VI. The other by Cecil Rhodes.

Out of the little leather bag came also the first installment of
his memoirs "Memories of an old Rhodesian Pioneer," and a bill
for his weekly newspaper which he has delivered to his home in
Enkeldoorn.

Mr. Ferreira came to Enkeldoorn in 1895 "answering the call of
Mr. Rhodes" and on the promise of a 3,000-morgen farm.

"When the rebellion started in 1896 a larger was formed at
Enkeldoorn and my brother T.I. Ferreira was appointed commandant,"
his story says. "We had two previous experiences of Native wars."

SIGN OF DANGER

"Eight days before the Mashonas started their murders we saw fires
being lit on the tops of the hills and were warned that this was a
sign of great danger.

"Ther Enkeldoorn laager was then surrounded by about 30,000 Africans.
I rode from Enkeldoorn to Charter and found that this laager was safe.

At 89 Mr. Ferreira is still a horseman. He said yesterday: "I still
ride my horse on the farm. Now I must go and buy my year's
newspapers."

[ARTICLE No.4]
[DATED 1/2/52]
Grand Old Man Of Enkeldoorn Looks Back 50 Years

[Inserted text from article]

Mr. P.L. Ferreira, who arrived in Enkeldoorn in 1895, having
trekked there with his family from Khama's country at the
invitation of Rhodes, celebrated his 83rd birthday quietly
in Enkeldoorn yesterday.

In the accompanying article this "Grand Old Man of Enkeldoorn,"
as he is often referred to in the district, recalls some of his
early experiences in Rhodesia.
<<<

In 1895 our Founder's call to bring settlers to Rhodesia from
Humansdorp was answered. We were told of the free country with
rivers, red and black soil, fertile valleys, open plains and
mountains --- with a 3,000-morgen farm which the settler could
pick for himself. Each family's wagons were put on a separate
truck. The settlers were direct descendants of the Huguenots, and
we still have the names Batalia, Almine and Julia (Juliana) in
the family.

We had to trek from Linsby's and Khama's country, and from there
through a part of the desert to the Notwani River. What a joy
it was when we reached the river.

Eventually, in 1895, we reached old Enkeldoorn, five miles from
the site of the present village.

Enkeldoorn literally stands for a single thorn, but it also stands
for a group or single mimosa tree. After the battle of Chigarra we
wanted to change the name of Enkeldoorn to Cecil after Mr. Rhodes.

Mr. Rhodes then asked us where the name Enkeldoorn originated and
when he learned that our grandfather had a farm named Enkeldoorn
where he was sheep farming in Humansdorp, Mr. Rhodes replied,
"This township will be called Enkeldoorn."

... refused to let him, saying "If anything happens to you, my name
will stink as much as yours in famous." We knew that the poisoned
arrows were kept in the caves and that the Natives slept outside. I
went in with seven men of whom one got wounded, and took the caves.

Mr. Rhodes was allowed to come in after everything was safe. He wrote
out a cheque for [Pound symbol]100, as a plaster for the wounded man's
shoulder. He was also given a bottle of whisky, at which another
settler said that he was sorry that he had not been wounded too.

Superstitions

The Natives were great believers in spirits, and they have many
guarded secrets and customs which they will disclose only to legal
men when charged with murder or some other very serious crime. They
have, of course, a belief in a Supreme Being, and will go to the
with-doctor's to find out why the Supreme Being is angry and why
their misfortunes have come upon them.

As to our own churches, when Sir Drummond Chaplin and General Smuts
visited Enkeldoorn, which was on a Sunday, we decided to have a
united service. How appealing it was to see English and Dutch
parsons in the same pulpit. For many years our English friends
used our Dutch Reformed Church.

Twenty years after Enkeldoorn was founded we put wreaths on the
graves, and these were some of the words spoken at the ceremony:
"If Boer and British, who have given their lives for Rhodesia,
can lie side by side, let us keep up that tradition, to make
Rhodesia worthy of our Founder's name."

[ARTICLE No.5]
[Picture of Mr. P.L. Ferreira]

Rhodesian Pioneer

With a flood of memories returning to him, Mr. Pieter Louwrens
Ferreira, rode proudly on horseback through the small Southern
Rhodesian town of Enkeldoorn on his 93rd birthday on January
31. It was here in 1895 that he, and other families who had
trekked from South Africa were given farms and permission to
settle by Cecil Rhodes. He was born in Humansdorp, South Africa.

Yours Sincerely,
Sir Ken Markham, K.C.B., (95),
[A Phenomenal Researcher In The Mists Of Time].

This thread: